The Power of NOW in Spring 2016: Aha Moment #2- No longer waiting for the revolution to Come

When the revolution comes...



One of the biggest breakthrough moments was when I attended a series of eating psychology workshops related to dieting and disordered eating habits. It was timely since I was just coming off my restrictive dieting phase in my failed attempt to be a fitness competitor.


The workshop facilitator said: 

"People believe that they will be able to have what they want enjoy their lives when they get to the perfect weight and have the perfect body. The reality is that  you can have all that now.”


I had been looking to the fitness competition to shed my past identity even further. Had I been paying attention to the now then I would have known that past identity had long been gone. As Tolle says, I was: 

“excessively focused on the goal because I was seeking “happiness, fulfillment, or a more complete sense of self” and of course when that becomes the focus then the NOW is not honored.


You do not enjoy the now because your NOW is obsessed with getting to the future because you think life will be better when the revolution comes.


Because of my past identity and how I believed most people from that past identity wished to see me fail, I really wanted do something that would show that past identity held no way and to show how wrong they were.


I think more than anything the fitness competition addressed this obsessive need to
Prove to people how wrong they were about my past identity.  This all happened in 2014 when I spent time in the proverbial wilderness. because I realized that the only reason I wanted to get married was for a public relations campaign. It was totally based on selfish ambition. I wanted to prove that I had it all. Forget about loving another person, sharing my life, and not being all about me anymore. The only reason I wanted to get married was because of my need to shed the past identity of rejection and to show that I had made it.

You can read all about that Life lesson here on the blog under 2014.

My life had become a series of trying to: shed past identities, prove people wrong,  and getting “there”. Because of that, I always missed out on what was happening now. I finally Understood that “there” doesn't exist but only “here” exists and that simple revelation helped me to see life in a whole new way.

Comments

Popular Posts