Proverbs 31 OBS Week 2: Waiting and Distractions

When Ingrid at Shiloh Church gave me the prophetic word on Resurrection Sunday 2015, one of the things she said was that all of the distractions would be cut.

I like distractions.

Distractions take our attention away from what's uncomfortable and gives us a new place to focus our energy on.

In the Hunger Games, Haymitch tells Katniss and Peta that their job is to be a distraction so that people forget what the real problems are.

That's why we like distractions.  They help us to forget what the real problems are.

When we are waiting it's easy to get distracted because often during our wait is when we have to actually focus on the REAL problems.

No Distractions....No excitement....Lots of focus

In the past year and a half I have not been distracted with what I call "excitement".  It's been a steady grind of trying to figure out the marketing to launch my online business.  I haven't seen any excitement at the gym or otherwise.  I've not been excited so I haven't been distracted.  

As I like to say, the excitement from last year was so good that after that I said, Well if that's where we are going...then I'm fine with waiting.

Because I have not been distracted, I have had a lot of time to focus on what the real problems are including:  not being marriage material AT ALL, lack of faith, and remembering what the real goals are and working towards them.

I don't miss distractions.  Sure they may have given a temporary thrill but they waste SO MUCH VALUABLE time when the energy could be better spent on meaningful tasks to get me towards my destination.

Common Types of Distractions

People 

They may appeal to your flesh but are in polar opposite of your intended outcomes.  Also listening to people who don't have a clue and don't know what they are doing is a major distraction.  Every single time I have gotten off track it has been a result of letting myself get distracted by other people.

Comparison 

It's so easy to get distracted by what someone else has or is doing.  We spend so much time being distracted by comparing ourselves to others that we forget to concentrate on our own race.


Social Media 

I don't think there was a better example than the recent election.  People spent more time on social media arguing about politics than they did addressing the real problems of their lives. It's easier to get distracted by arguments about politics than it is to address issues in your own life. 

Social Media also provides a distraction from our actual lives and allows us to create a persona and fictitious world to distract from our often not so exciting reality.


Entertainment/Celebrity Worship

The reason people worship celebrities with such fervor these days is to distract from their own lack of productivity and purpose.  Entertainment has changed because reality TV says, "You don't need a talent or meaning to be famous.  Just be willing to exploit yourself and you can gain a following if you're beautiful and materialistic enough."

Distractions when we don't know what God is doing

I have found myself getting the most distracted when I don't know what God is doing.  It seems as if he's just left me out to dry and I can't quite figure out if I'm waiting or he's forgotten me altogether.  When I think he's forgotten me altogether, I tend to just try to distract myself with whatever cockamamie plan I can come up with.

I have learned though that this is fruitless and a waste of time.

God has not forgotten me nor is he ignoring me.  I am not supposed to know everything he's doing.  It seems to me on this Sacred Journey, that God reveals a little at a time.  You may get a bit of information and think:  "Well what does this mean?  It means something...but I don't know what."

You're not supposed to know and you can't figure it out.  God's plans are much more exciting and adventurous.  That's why this scripture needs to be at the forefront of any wait.  The more you try to figure it out with your own limited understanding, the more frustrated and easier it is to fall for distractions.


The Results of a Year with No Distractions

I can say after a solid year with no distractions that I have accomplished my PUSH Goal of launching my online business.  This would not have happened if I fell for every distraction that came my way or looked to distract myself.

I also was able to learn more about myself that I am NOT marriage material and that my heart and attitude need a major change.  If God is going to entrust me with the assignment of helping someone else to be great, then I need to focus on my personal development and not get distracted by every chocolate sculpture that comes my way.

I am thankful for NO distractions this year.  Without being distracted I have also received some encouragement to keep going because this is all leading towards somewhere.

Not having distractions can be a bit "boring" for someone like myself who loves excitement but I would rather that and then be ready for the REAL excitement later on down the line.

Comments

Popular Posts