Proverbs 31 OBS Wait and See Week 5: Your Needs and Not Your Greeds


In his amazing song, "He Will Supply" Kirk Franklin says:  [He will supply] Your NEEDS and Not Your Greeds.

It's a funny line but there's so much truth in that.

I have everything that I NEED right now.  I have just enough to pay my bills, take the next step forward, be faithful to what I'm called to for this moment, and what I actually need.  

For years I was frustrated because I had my NEEDS but not my GREEDS.  I didn't have the extras that I wanted but I had what I needed.

The Protection in the Pause

I did not need the extras.  I wasn't ready for them and I would have ruined them or set myself up for destruction further down the line.

Much how we don't allow 5 year olds not to drive cars because they do not possess the maturity or the motor skills to operate a vehicle safely, God does not give us our greeds because we do not possess the maturity or skills to operate our greeds safely.

Have you ever seen someone who received a "blessing" that they were not prepared or mature enough to handle?  It's not pretty.  They usually end up self destructing or destroying the "blessing" because they did not possess the skills to handle the blessing and it becomes a burden or a curse.

This is why we say there is: Protection in the Pause.

For years, what I thought was rejection and me being inadequate was really protection and time for personal development.  There has been so much protection in the pause and I don't think of it as rejection anymore or a bad thing.  I consider it a big relief and an act of mercy.

Being successful too soon (without years of training and waiting) or embarking upon a relationship without introspection and personal development would be recipe for disaster.

I've seen people who I've compared myself to over the years and then wondered where was MY happy ending and my blessing.  Didn't I deserve it? 

Later on down the line I realized that they didn't have a happy ending AT ALL and what they had was not a blessing.  It was a curse.  I had no way of knowing that and all I could think was:  "That could have been me if not for the grace of God"

In the scripture below there is something that I had never noticed before this study.  I've always focused on the last part of the scripture, "supply all my needs according to his riches in glory"

Look at the first part of the scripture:  This SAME God who takes care of me.

He does take care of me by giving me what I need, when I need it, and when he knows I am able to handle it and not a minute before.

God is faithful and wise.  He is a whole heck of a lot smarter than me!


Comments

Popular Posts