Wisdom over Results

I am a results oriented person.

I work in the fitness industry where the value of one's service depends largely on what types of results a client achieves.  As I have learned over the years, results come in different ways for different people.  Most people think that fitness results have to do with some type of cosmetic change: fat loss or muscle gain.  Working in this industry as long as I have, I have learned that the BEST results don't always equal cosmetic change.  

Results could mean being able to work in the garden again for an hour, avoiding falls, able to play with children again, carrying groceries home, and so forth.  Those are practical life applications of getting in shape.   These are the results that count where it is important.

In fact, one of my favorite quotes to share with clients is:

Clients who simply want to improve their looks, rarely improve them.
Clients who have a deeper reason for training usually improve their looks.

This year I have learned that applies to my spiritual life as well

A-ha Moment for 2013


People who want to see what they can get from their prayers and just want God to give them results, rarely get them

People who are truly seeking God and wisdom, will ALWAYS receive results 

Being the results oriented person I am, last week I was tempted to become discouraged because I started out the year with such high hopes professionally and personally.  I did not get the results I was looking for in either category, but upon reflection I realized that I did achieve big results in both areas.

My results weren't cosmetic changes in circumstances:  I did not see a dramatic rise in income and as I'm sure you've heard  I'm still single.

BUT 

when it comes to where it really counts: I would be willing to say that I have achieved remarkable results.  I have gained stronger faith/confidence in God and I am able to practically apply the wisdom of what I have learned to my life.

Why I stopped praying for results

As I have traveled along this Sacred Journey, I decided to stop praying for results and changes in circumstances.

In my business, clients who are simply motivated by wanting to change cosmetically lack commitment, and are ready to give up when they don't lose 10 pounds in 10 minutes.  They have accumulated years of unhealthy habits and expect instant results when they start eating healthier and working out.  We see these people every January and by Valentine's Day they've given up.  

They are not willing to commit to the process of getting into shape.  They were just in it for the results.

Wellllll....that was the EXACT same thing I was doing in my spiritual walk.

I would pray for God to give me results. 

God,  I want to move forward in my career and I'm ready to get off the single train.  Just like the people at the gym, I would be gung ho for a few weeks and little to nothing would happen.  

"That's it!  I'm giving up!  None of this works anyway.  It all stays the same.  May as well go and eat french fries!"

Somewhere along the way I got it.  I'm going to stop praying for results and start praying for grace and strength to make it through this process.  I like the way one woman put it: Grace for refinement.  My faith tells me that the results are going to come. 

 Now the results may not look like how I pictured but that's always a good thing, because God knows what is best for me.  I am CERTAIN I have dodged multiple bullets on the single thing alone.

Grace, Strength, and now wisdom

I have prayed for Grace and Strength on this Sacred Journey.  God has been faithful in that area because God only knows it is his strength that has allowed me to start taking risks and steps of faith.

The next ingredient that I need is: Wisdom to make right decisions.

James 1:5-8

If you do not have wisdom, ask God for it. He is always ready to give it to you and will never say you are wrong for asking. You must have faith as you ask Him. You must not doubt. Anyone who doubts is like a wave which is pushed around by the sea. Such a man will get nothing from the Lord. The man who has two ways of thinking changes in everything he does.

How convenient that right after I completed a 2 month Bible Study about confidence and silencing doubt that the Lord gave me this word!  

God has shown me that I need to ask for wisdom, so I asked for it.  He said that I wouldn't be wrong for asking.  I figured that asking him for wisdom about what to do instead of me trying to take control of everything was a smarter way to go.  (I think I'm learning something here people)

Yes, I have faith and I am not doubting.  I absolutely believe the things that God has shown me, revealed to me, and even confirmed to me this year are going to happen.  I have no doubt about that even though sometimes I begin to get discouraged when I start thinking too much.  

That's the whole being pushed around by a sea business and I know all about that.  When you spend your time doubting, you second guess EVERYTHING!  Should I have done this?  Should I have said that?  What was I thinking!  No stability and no peace.  It is a mess.  No thanks.  I would rather stand on faith and then wait to see how it unfolds without the stress of over analyzing everything.

Enjoying the process

Right now I am enjoying the process of getting stronger and becoming the woman God has called me to be.  I am in NO WAY close , but I am certainly better than I was last year or the year before that.  

As I coach clients, it is about progress.  Think about where you were this time last year or even six months ago.  There's been so much progress and you've learned so much in the process of becoming healthier.

I have learned to enjoy the process of becoming a healthier Christian because before I had no strength and absolutely NO endurance.  I would give up in a minute.

James 1:2-4

My Christian brothers, you should be happy when you have all kinds of tests. You know these prove your faith. It helps you not to give up. Learn well how to wait so you will be strong and complete and in need of nothing.


Couldn't have said it better myself!

To God be the Glory


Comments

Popular Posts