I have decided to live in Fear

I've been looking forward to this Sunday for a few weeks.  It was the end of our women's conference and the visiting evangelist happens to be one of my favorites and the fact that she's a woman proclaiming God's word makes it even sweeter for me.

My sister and I have been talking all week about how excited we are to hear her because she is going to have a word from the Lord for us.

This morning in my prayer time this is what I asked God:

The word that goes forth today:  Make it bear fruit for years to come.

LORD HAVE MERCY DID HE DELIVER

Fearing the Lord

The visiting evangelist shared her concern that in an attempt to make the gospel more relevant and user friendly, we have lost our reverential awe of the Lord.

I would have to agree.  I tend to grow tired of "Jesus is my homeboy" Christianity.  This leads to superficial and shallow types of approaches to spirituality.  True, Jesus came to fulfill the law and now we get to have an intimate and three on one relationship with the Lord, but this doesn't mean we should approach our relationship with Christ casually.  

I grew up hearing stories about the mean old God in the sky who was just waiting for everyone to mess up so he could write it down in his notebook and send them to Hell.  Needless to say, as a child I was scared of God.  I had a fear and dread of the Lord but it wasn't the right type of fear.

The fear I have of the Lord these days is more like 
  • God means what he says and I want to be on the right side of his will.  
  • I don't want to do things outside of his will because his consequences are for real.  
  • He's done so much for me that I really don't want to disappoint Him. 
  • He is all powerful and all knowing and you just don't play with that.  
  • I respectfully bow down and bow out from trying to run any kind of show.

The Benefits of Fearing the Lord

One by one the visiting evangelist went through the benefits of fearing the Lord. There were so many I had trouble keeping up writing them all down.  Here are some of my favorites:

God will help you make the right choices 

Psalms 25: 12
Who, then, are those who fear the Lord? He will instruct them in the ways they should choose.

Lord knows that I need help in this area.  I want to make the right choices because I am well aware that my choices don't just affect me but those that are around me and come after me. I will never forget reading this statement  in Joyce Meyer's, Battlefield of the Mind 

Your life may have been completely different if someone in your past had decided to obey God

I don't want that said about me.  I want my children and grandchildren to be blessed because of my faith walk.  One of the benefits of fearing in the Lord is that God's word promises that it will happen.

My children and Grandchildren will be blessed

Psalms 103: 17-18   
But from everlasting to everlasting  the Lord’s love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children’s children—with those who keep his covenant and remember to obey his precepts.

Psalms 112: 1-3
Praise the Lord.  Blessed are those who fear the Lord, who find great delight in his commands.

Their children will be mighty in the land; the generation of the upright will be blessed.

Sometimes I wonder if I take this whole marriage/kids things too seriously, but then I remember that God gave me a vision  of what my marriage/family was going to be.  It was going to be part of my purpose on this earth and when I hear things like this it just reminds me to stay on course.  

I'm not even married or have kids yet, but I worry about them being influenced by the stupidity I see in this world.  As my dear sister preached today, God's words promises that even if my family decides to go visit Egypt for a while, the Lord will DELIVER them out if I stay on course with my walk.  I also know that the life I live before them plays a big part.  If they see Mommy doesn't really take God's word seriously, then they won't either.

I will be satisfied and want for nothing

Psalms 34:9 
 O fear the Lord, all you who belong to Him. For those who fear Him never want for anything. 

You ever been around people who are content?  They are so much fun to be around.  They can tell you stories about when things weren't so great and then they tell you of God's provision and deliverance.  You would never know they had lots of struggles earlier on because they are at peace.  

On the other hand people who are NOT content are no fun to be around.  They are constantly complaining, always looking for the next scheme or problem, and generally full of doom and gloom.

I want to be the first option and I am certainly not there yet.  I believe when you have a fear of God you know he will provide BETTER than what he would choose.

How to Learn to Fear the Lord

Scary Hellfire and Brimstone sermons aren't the answer because  that's how we got the opposite extreme of "Jesus as the Starbucks Barista" I suspect many of the people who take the casual approach heard the same types of sermons that I did growing up and they knew that turned people off.

So how did the  evangelist suggest we learn to fear the Lord?

A character study of God: Read the Old Testament

I could not agree more.  I am going through a Read the Bible Program this year and the Old Testament has been AMAZING.  I don't know why more preachers don't teach more from the Old Testament.  The stories are certainly relevant and have great practical life application.

Reading the Old Testament you learn a few things about God:
  • He clearly lays out the guidelines and rules
  • Disobedience = Consequences
  • He gives people many chances to get it together
  • He punishes fairly:  He tells you what you're supposed and if you don't do it, then oh well too bad.
  • Even after punishment, he will restore you and bless you
 Sometimes when I start complaining or voicing doubts, I will turn to the book of Numbers and read the story of the 12 spies and the results of the children of Israel complaining.  That's enough to make me stop complaining.

 I'm choosing to live in fear

I'm not choosing to live in fear of people or circumstances.  That leads to a life of paralysis with no productivity.

Instead I'm choosing to live in fear of the Lord  because as the Bible says in Proverbs 31:30 about our favorite woman and role model.

Proverbs 31:30
Charm and grace are deceptive, and beauty is vain [because it is not lasting], but a woman who reverently and worshipfully fears the Lord, she shall be praised!

To God be the Glory, 
Amen


 



Comments

Popular Posts