Just a little dab of faith....That'll do it



This blog post is probably going to be a bunch of rambling, but that's why I have the blog.

We're about to head into a new Bible Study, "A Confident Heart" and it could not come at a better time because while I am not having a crisis of confidence, I can sense the strings of discouragement being pulled, but I am resolute not to give up and give in.

The above song is called "That'll Do it" by Anointed.  I haven't listened to it in years, but I've listened to it on repeat tonight.

I used to listen to this song all the time back in 2001 before I left for college.  That was another time of great faith in my life.  I would listen to this song multiple times every day because all I had at the time was a little dab of faith( if you could even call it that) but like the song says 

"Just a little faith is all it takes to prove it, that'll do it!"

There was no way I should have gone to college, but I KNEW that it was supposed to happen and yes my entire life changed.  I was on the road to my destiny.


I find myself here again in the valley of faith except this time I have more than a dab of faith.  I have several things that I did not have during that time.

  • A REAL relationship with God
  • Filled with the Holy Spirit who leads me and helps me
  • Knowledge of God's word and the character of God NOT just religious rules
  • Personal Testimonies of God's grace, deliverance, mercy, and awesome power

In the Valley of Faith

One of the most exciting if not frustrating things about being a child of God is that you never really know what's going on and what God is doing.  

You THINK you know, but you have no idea.  All you know is He's up to something.

The valley of faith can be a humbling and lonely place.  Humbling because you see those nasty things about yourself that other people may not see.

Such as....

pride and covetousness

 I don't get why ________ is getting ______.  I DESERVE it.  After all I pray, read the Bible, tithe, and go to church faithfully.  This isn't fair.   

Once I start finding myself going down that road, I know that I need a time out.  I don't deserve anything....it is only because of God's grace and mercy that I'm even where I am at this point!

complaining and being ungrateful

You know what? I would have been better off doing everyone else is doing.  At least I would be better off than where I am now.  Nothing is ever going to happen anyway...so I may as well give up.

These types of complaints landed the Israelites in hot water and they were severely punished for their ungrateful attitude.  God allowed what they complained about POSSIBLY happening to ACTUALLY happen to them.  They all died out in the wilderness except for a faithful few.

The Valley of Faith Can be Lonely

Nobody will get why you've made certain decisions, they will discourage and frighten you to get you off track with statements like these: 

Oh please!!! That will never happen!! 
I wouldn't do ______ if I were you!!! This will ruin your entire life!!! 
Your eggs will dry up!!!  You'll never find anyone!!!

At this point if you're like me, you just want to be left alone.  I don't want to hear anything from anybody because rarely do people have words of encouragement.  It's just more bad advice and fear mongering.

Even though we walk through the valley of faith....

we must be resolute to stand firm on God's promises that he will be with us and that all will work together for good.

New Mercies and New Perspectives This Morning
Last night when I was writing this, I was descending into the pits.  I wasn't there yet, but I could feel the discouragement settling in.  I had been low energy all day and I needed to get this off my chest.  Thank God His mercies are new EVERY Morning

Grace for refinement and not for relief

During my devotions this morning, one was entitled Habits for women who do not give up.  I need to adopt all of the habits, but the one that SCREAMED loudest was: Grace for refinement and not relief.

I am in a season of growth and I need grace to keep on keeping on with the preparation process rather than to keep praying for the blessing.   

I am changing my prayer from results of the refinement process to simply praying for strength as I go through the refiner's fire.

It is as my sister likes to say:  If you want a feast then you have to PREPARE. You take your time with it. Microwaveable crap with no value you pop it in and it's done.  (As a fitness professional I will also tell you that those processed items have little nutrient value and do more harm than good in the long run)

Turn it and He Turned it

Today's worship service was amazing.  I prayed that I would be encouraged and I was.  

The woman sharing special music with us sang from the Psalms: 
Create in me a clean heart O God and renew a right spirit within me and all of our help comes from God.

I love our Pastor because he doesn't just preach "feel good" messages.  He preaches messages that hold us accountable as the people of God. 

Last week he talked about turning before we hit the proverbial iceberg.  We needed to repent before we suffer the same fate of the Israelites:  Destruction and Exile.  

Today he talked about how once we have repented at God's rebuke, He will turn to us and then pour out his spirit on us.  (Proverbs 1:23 NKJV)

One of his illustrations was Ezekiel and the dry bones.  I got really excited then y'all... cause you know that story spoke loud and clear to me earlier this month.

The good pastor said God's word will be our GPS system...letting us know we are on the right track.  I tell you he is telling the truth because the more I've studied God's word, the more I'm seeing it being confirmed everywhere.

Not by force, by strength, but by MY SPIRIT

I've really been encouraged by the story of  Zerubbabel, the governor of Judah which I will be breaking down in this blog shortly.

Zechariah gave the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel when they were rebuilding the temple.  As we will see Zerubbabel and the people were pretty discouraged since the neighbors tried to frighten and discourage them.

During my Bible study this week, I kept coming back to Zechariah 4:6-10.  Yet again it was SCREAMING at me.

 Then he said to me, “This is what the Lord says to Zerubbabel: It is not by force nor by strength, but by my Spirit, says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies.

During the sermon the pastor kept repeating that we cannot do this journey on our own.  We MUST have the holy spirit and during our benediction it was prayed Not by force nor by strength, but by YOUR spirit.


My goodness.  

As we know I'm believing God for many things in my life right now.  It has taken me this long to FINALLY realize that I won't receive my blessings because of something MADE/FORCED/MANIPULATED into happening.  Nor will it happen in my own strength and power.

It will happen by God's spirit and how will we know?   As Zechariah 4:7 says
 7 Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in (Geneva's) Zerubbabel’s way; it will become a level plain before (her) him! And when (Geneva) Zerubbabel sets the final stone of the Temple in place, the people will shout: ‘May God bless it! May God bless it!"

May God bless it and may he bless you!

Remember "Child a little dab will do ya...Get ya through it.  That'll do it!  Just a little faith is all it takes to prove it...That'll do it!"



Comments

Popular Posts