Level Up: It's not about me, it's about the mission

I am reading the most amazing book right now:  It's called Extreme Ownership: How Navy Seals Lead and Win. by Leif Babin and Jocko Willink, 

I have to say that this book fits right in with this season of This Sacred Journey because in order to Level Up, you must know where you are Leveling Up To.  Where are we going?    

The Foundation of All Leadership business or personal is The Mission.


The question before you start any mission must be:  

What are we setting out to accomplish?

If there is no mission, then we are just wandering in the wilderness.  We have no real purpose and there is no direction.  We're just going around in circles.  We may be doing stuff and we may even be productive but since there is no mission there is no point.


Without a mission you're basically in a parade.  

Parades are fun and a great time but that's where it stops.

While reading this book, the lightbulb in my head clicked on. 

What is my mission?  

To Glorify God.  That is the overall mission.

However I have a whole other personal mission.  It is to uplift and encourage women that what God has for them is possible if they just go get it and let him transform them.  

My other mission is to be a strong defender of the family and relationships between men and women.

Ahem but right now I'm focused on trying to get my own mission accomplished.

By making it about myself I get fixated on targets like Rihanna here and that leads to distraction and losing sight of the bigger picture.

Is there not a cause?  

Earlier this year Pastor Dawn asked that Question during her sermon 4 The Kingdom.  

She asked: Is there not a cause?

There is certainly a cause!  

All you have to do is Talk to people, watch the news, and look around. People are certainly lost, without direction, and hopeless.

Yes there is a cause and there is also a cost.

As I am reading this book, I am understanding that with any mission there is a cost.  You may be called away from your family like the soldiers who are are deployed for battle.  

If you choose to accept your mission, then you certainly aren't going to be comfortable and you'll have to be on guard against the enemy 24/7 because he plays without rules and for keeps but we have to remember we are fighting FROM victory and not FOR victory.


It ain't about me, it's about the mission


The authors of Extreme Ownership emphasized the importance of keeping focused on the mission. The SEALs had the overall End Goal from the United States Military to win the war in Iraq.  

They looked at each individual mission from the end goal that American and Iraqi soldiers would be going home to their families and these cities would no longer be battle zones.  

They had a cause and they were focused on the mission.  
It's not about you boo - Pastor Javier Ramos, Shiloh Church
Pastor Javier loves saying that and it's so true.  

I agree with him and I don't think it's about me until it's something I want or think that I should have.  Then that is when it becomes all about me. 

As the authors of Extreme Ownership point out, that's when I become fixated on the Target which leads to distraction and ultimately my favorite place:  DISAPPOINTMENT.

I don't believe God is leading me to a place of disappointment at all.  I believe he's leading me to a place of sustainability. 

He's already made it perfectly clear that we have  mission and we've made it perfectly clear when he asked through Pastor Cornelius Lindsey, Whom shall I send?


Here we are send us.  


God is sending us for sure but we need to make it through training first.  I've been really blown away by how thorough NAVY SEAL training is but when you think about all the crazy missions they have to go on, they need soldiers who have been prepared for all kinds of dangerous situations that may lie ahead.  

If you are poorly prepared and poorly trained you won't last too long in war and if you are poorly prepared and poorly trained for the mission God has for you, then you won't last too long with whatever He has for you to do.


Prophetic Word

In Cleansing Streams class one of the leaders prayed over me: "A deeper revelation God.  Just like you parted the Red Sea make a way God."

I thought that was all very nice until I got home and started praying before bed and then God reminded me of one of the scriptures he gave me at the beginning of 2018.  This is what Moses told the people right before HE PARTED THE RED SEA.

13 But Moses told the people, “Don’t be afraid. Just stand still and watch the Lord Rescue you today. The Egyptians you see today will never be seen again. 14 The Lord himself will fight for you. Just stay calm.”

That's when I lost it.  You mean this stuff is actually working.  LORDY MOSES as Matthew Dowd, the political commentator says (and in this case I think that is appropriate) 

As the leader who prayed this over me said, "The answer is right in front of you"  

And so is the mission....






Comments

Popular Posts