Draw the Circle Prayer Challenge Lent 2018 Week 4: Spiritual Mentors

During my Daily Devotions this week, there was a theme about having wise counsel.  So many people are led astray and down the wrong path because they listen to the wrong people.  I don't want that to happen to me so this past week I've added something to my prayer circle:  I am praying for spiritual mentors and wise counsel in my life. 

I need people wise people and those with spiritual knowledge to be in my life and give me advice.  I need those who have healthy marriages that glorify God in my life.  I need parents who have raised children who love God and are thriving to be in my life.  I need those who are walking their talk to be in my life to pour their wise counsel into my life.

I've had glimpses of this over the years with Brother Richard being the latest (You're not gonna die an old maid) but I want close relationships with these people.  I have it in my business life but I need it in my spiritual life.

Every wise person in leadership has wise counsel that she can go to.  Whether  you call it a brain trust, board of directors, or team of rivals (which doesn't work in this context...no need to foster confusion)

So that's what I am circling and praying for this week in my life: Spiritual Mentors and Wise Counsel


Circling our Young People

This past week I read the worst article about children committing suicide.  The numbers are appalling. I added the link to the article to the end of this blog post.

Nationwide, suicides among black children under 18 are up 71 percent in the past decade, rising from 86 in 2006 to 147 in 2016, the latest year such data is available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In that same period, the suicide rate among all children also increased, up 64 percent.   
Among the youngest children, suicide for those 13 and under rose 114 percent from 2006 to 2016. In a bright spot for black youth, the rate of growth in this age group rose more slowly, at 30 percent. (Washington Post)
What in the world is going on?  I firmly believe that all of what we see with our children is related from these precious children committing suicide, mass school shooters, or gang members killing each other.  This all shows hopelessness and despair.  The question is why they are so hopeless and in despair?

I believe childhood trauma is a big factor.  The young man in this story was portrayed as "perfect" by his parents but he came from a dysfunctional household.  It sounded like the parents had normalized their own trauma (prison stints and being homeless) and hadn't addressed how this may have affected the son.  For so many families, trauma is normalized and it's been that way for years. 

 Dr. Melva Green from Hoarders fame was the person who was the person who shared the story on Facebook and she said she doesn't know if folks are ready to address intergenerational trauma.  I can say from personal experience that I don't know if we are.  Most people are too busy using religion, drugs, alcohol, and relationships as coping mechanisms without addressing their traumas.

Did I also mention that I am reading Michelle Alexander's book, "The New Jim Crow"?  Yeah that's jarring as well and I don't know why but this book is speaking loud and clear to me.  It's almost screaming at me.

Data such as: 3 out of every 4 young Black men in places like Washington D.C. can expect to be incarcerated in their lifetimes....and no it's not because they are more likely to be pathologically criminals.  It's because of how the criminal justice system is set up and the "drug war"





Revival

Our nation is in need of revival...badly.  My people especially are in need of revival and healing.  I think it can only happen spiritually because we've been cut so deep.  I'm involved in a Facebook Group with people who are Kingdom and Justice Minded. We've been talking about the movie Black Panther and how they worshipped their ancestors.  The people of Wakanda had rituals related to their ancestors and wise counsel based on the wisdom of elders.

 I don't think we need to worship the ancestors but I do believe we are missing the spiritual inheritance and legacy of our forefathers due to all that's happened in this country whether it's slavery, segregation, and mass incarceration.  We're also missing the wisdom of our elders.

Black women have clung to religion and in many cases it's nothing more than a coping mechanism or compulsion like food.  Just like compulsive eating, being compulsive about religion provides no nourishment and leaves you obese and unhealthy.

We've come to the conclusion that our current system of churchgoing must DIE in order to have true revival.  I agree with that to a certain extent.  I do believe there ARE churches like Shiloh in Oakland who are in the FLOW and will be revival hotspots.  They've been talking about revival and a shift nonsense.  The pastors and guest pastors have been saying exactly what I've been thinking is going to happen.  I am right with them which is why I returned and faithfully attend. 

I've been circling Shiloh in prayer to experience revival and to be a place where people can receive healing.  

This Prayer Challenge has been different in many ways because it's not solely about myself.  I think that shows significant growth.  Besides that, times are darkening and we need real intercessors.

Comments

Popular Posts