Recommended Read: Party of One, Joy Beth Smith

Every single Christian Woman should read this book.

Joy Beth Smith's book Party of One is one of THE best single women's books I have ever read if not THE best book I have ever read in the Christian Single Woman genre.

No exaggeration.

Why?

BECAUSE SHE IS BEING HONEST.   

BEING SINGLE SUCKS SOMETIMES.  

WE DON'T WANT JESUS TO BE OUR ONLY HUSBAND.   (WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN)

WE ARE CREATED FOR GOD'S GLORY BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN WE DO NOT NOTICE THE CUTE MAN AT CHURCH  IN THE TIGHT SHIRTS WHO WE CANNOT SEEM TO UNSEE WHEN WE ARE TRYING TO BE HOLY AND SANCTIMONIOUS.


A total Refreshing Change from the typical Single Women's Drivel


I for one have been DISGUSTED at the rise of these social media, "Relationship Ministries".  I used to follow them myself but as each year went on and I remained single, I began to get more and more frustrated.

What was I not doing right?
Was I not praying enough?
Was there not enough Bible reading?  
Did I need to read the book of Leviticus in its original Hebrew?

What was the Hold Up?

It was after engaging in studies like "The Husband Project" that I realized that I had no business being married.  My attitude was still so negative and self centered.  

Not only that but by following these ministries I had begun to idolize marriage.  I thought that was what was missing in my life and that was going to complete this picture of success that I had put together in my life because that's what the successful Christian women on Instagram were doing.


WRONG

I began to unfollow those ministries because 

a) I realized it was the same marketing technique they teach in Direct Sales which is to show off your journey for prospective customers

b) I realized that being single was not my problem

c) I was coveting what someone else had (and how did I know that this person even had what they were posting)

d) This was idolizing marriage.  Plain and simple....and when you got right down to it, I was more concerned with putting marriage on my resume than I was with the marriage.

I believed that singleness was some sort of season to be endured and then we pass or fail the Final examination before we were allowed to the next level.  That isn't true at all because marriage will bring a whole lot of stuff out that wouldn't have been covered on the test.  

We can keep praying and we can keep hope alive but waiting around or trying to pass a test is pointless.


Being Single Sucks Sometimes

I am going to keep it real: It does.  She has a great chapter that talks about what happens when Jesus cannot meet all your relational needs and even practical needs like putting up a white board.

Even in the perfect Garden of Eden God looked at Adam and said, "It is not good for man to be alone" and then he created Eve and you know what Adam said?  He said, "AT LAST"

That's quite the coincidence cause I'm gone say the EXACT same thing when my time comes and I  have also pledged to testify, preach, teach, and run around the church building about it because doggone it"AT LAST"



Being Single does suck at times.  Even though I am glad I am not married at this moment (because it would have been out of God's will) I freely admit it does suck at times...and I am glad to hear another Christian sister admit this instead of giving us the same old tired scriptures and acting like we're making this all up.


WE DON'T WANT JESUS TO BE OUR ONLY HUSBAND.   (WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN)

Every Christian is married to the Lord.  The church is referred to as his bride.

However I have NEVER heard a man say that he was content to be single because Jesus is his wife.  I have never heard a minister say that or anyone teach that so why on EARTH do we teach this to women?

Joy Beth does a phenomenal job of addressing Purity Culture which was forced on girls in the 1990's and 2000's.  That movement has died out not only because it's creepy but because it was unrealistic and set up a whole host of relational problems that Joy Beth Addresses.

I was also glad to read that I wasn't the only one who didn't know what it means to be married to Jesus and have him put a ring on it.


My Face when someone says that I should be marrie to Jesus


Our Parts still work

Listen I know God made me for His Glory.  I know that....but hey this will happen at times...even in church.  

Why?  My parts still work.  

Joy Beth has one of the most fabulous discussions about Sexuality that I have read from a Christian Author.  None of this just squeeze your legs together and hope it goes away.  NO.  She addresses even the most prickliest of issues.

She's honest, transparent, and voices the Single Ladies worst fears.

I'm a few years older than Joy Beth and I identified with so much of what she wrote.  It's not "churchianity" It's real, honest, and Raw.  

Run Don't Walk to get this book!!

Comments

Popular Posts