Leaving Sundays: Crazy Love

I had a realization of sorts over the last few days as I taught my course on emotional eating.

Author and Eating Psychology Expert, Geneen Roth says compulsion can happen with food, alcohol, drugs, and spiritual rigidity.

Yes, even religion can be compulsive. It can become an addiction and you become obsessed with doing everything right.

When I gave up compulsive dieting, I gave up spiritual rigidity at the same time. I stopped doing religious activities out of obligation and I no longer felt the compulsion to be so rigid about my spiritual life.  I gave myself permission to stop attending church and I allowed myself the freedom to pursue my own relationship with God.

This isn't to say I don't miss church because I do and I would love to start attending again.   I don't miss all of the time I spent there and feeling like it was all fine and good in the moment but where was the impact once service ended? Where was the fire? Church began to feel so forced, superficial, and shallow.  It didn’t feel relevant to real life.

I still haven’t returned to church and hope to do so soon.  Many people have recommended that I read Francis Chan’s book, “Crazy Love”  because he talks about a lot of my concerns that I have with the church.

Just reading the Preface and chapter, I knew I was going to like the book. I agree with Chan’s belief that as Christians there has to be some crazy and there's got to be some adventure. Otherwise what is the point?  

How will God be glorified if all we can say is that we go to church every sunday, pay bills, and have no excitement or adventure?  Even worse when go to Church every Sunday, claim Christ, and lead a miserable existence who will want to join that group?

People already don't take Christians seriously because they just seem to be known for putting others down  or claiming to be persecuted because they feel that they can't say Merry Christmas. Lame.

It also seems odd that the evangelical community is so staunchly behind trump instead of someone like John Kasich who has demonstrated his Christian values and openly talks about faith and working together….but maybe Trump is a better representation for the current Evangelical movement.

We are in an interesting time period in American history. I think we are about to push the reset button in so many ways and I believe the church will not be exempt so I am glad to be reading about what I can do to help move the needle.

Francis Chan says that he was placed at his church to lead people into lives of risk and adventure. How many churches do this? Most want everything to stay the same. They don't want any risk or adventure.  They have a hard time singing new songs or changing Bible study schedules!

Chan  also says that he believes that God wants us to live others so much that we go to extremes to help them.

I believe this too. I believe we are called to be EXTRAordinary so that means not doing what's conventional and safe. It means doing crazy.

Remember sister Leymah’s words found below. The ladies of Liberia went to extremes to bring peace to their country. I think at times you've got to get crazy or else your movement becomes boring, stale, and with no excitement. Pastor Violet Kiteley of Shiloh Church went to extremes to start her movement over in Oakland, California and it worked!

I am looking forward to the journey through this book as I become convicted and embrace my own CRAZY LOVE.
As the Great Prince Rogers Nelson once said, "LET'S GO CRAZY!"




Comments

Popular Posts