Leaving Sundays: Crazy Love

The concept of God’s love was foreign to me. I grew up hearing about a God who was eager to punish everyone so we should live our lives in fear.


I was used to being disappointed and let down by people so I felt like God was the same way. I was the person who believed I was going to receive scorpions for bread or snakes for eggs as Jesus talked about.

I was determined that my life was going to look like this poor baby here. (It's always good to put pics of dogs on the blog)



I never understood that God was looking out for my best interests and that he would give me good gifts because he loved me. It may not be what I wanted (so glad it wasn't) but he would give me good Gifts.


I didn't t know that even if I mess up (which I do) he still loves  me and wIll forgive me.


I mentioned that once I gave up compulsive dieting that I became less spiritually rigid. For years  I still had legalism flowing through my blood. I was rIgid about attending church and quiet times because I felt I had to do these things or Else I would not get what I wanted.


Newsflash: in many cases I still didn't get what I wanted Even when doing these things. I was doing it out of obligation and not love. That's the type of religion I was born into: Doing things out of obligation and not out of love.


Since leaving church my quiet times and studies have been because I really want to know and understand more so that I can teach others one day. My teaching will have depth so I have to Go deeper and that's what I am doing.


I still haven't gotten what I want but now I know it's for my own good and has nothing to do with my motivations for why I study and have quiet time.  I figure if I don't have it, then I don't need it yet.


Francis Chan cited Jeremiah 1:6-10 and My focus landed on verses 8 and 9.

O Lord God,” I said, “I can’t do that! I’m far too young! I’m only a youth!”
“Don’t say that,” he replied, “for you will go wherever I send you and speak whatever I tell you to. And don’t be afraid of the people, for I, the Lord, will be with you and see you through.”
9 Then he touched my mouth and said, “See, I have put my words in your mouth! 10 Today your work begins, to warn the nations and the kingdoms of the world. In accord with my words spoken through your mouth I will tear down some and destroy them, and plant others, nurture them, and make them strong and great.”

Wow!

I love Chan's comments on this passage.

“When Jeremiah voices his hesitation and fear, God -- the God of the galaxies -- reaches out and touches his mouth. It's a gentle and affectionate gesture, something a loving parent would do. Through this illustration I realized I don't have to worry about not meeting his expectations. God will ensure my success in accordance with his plan.


Amen. I worry about messing things up, not being good enough, failing, and everything ending in disaster.  However with God he will ensure my success if it's apart of his will.


After all it's all about him anyway! It's all about his glory!!

Comments

Popular Posts