Single Sister in the City: Take away the spirit of Lust! (For real? Yep)

I'm human.

Now after that bombshell revelation, here's something else shocking:  

I get really excited and my hormones turn all the way up when I see a man that is physically attractive.

Shocking I know....

I have come to a place of revelation.  In order for me to become the woman I want to be, I can no longer be led by the spirit of lust.  I can no longer be controlled by hormones or what appeals to the flesh.  We like to limit to lust to sex but lust also applies to materialism as well.


A Lesson in Lust: Mr. Excitement

About 3 years ago or so, I saw the physical manifestation of all that I find physically attractive about men.  I mean if you were to ask me what my ideal man looks like, it would be him.  I saw him and said, "That's it right there!"  I have called him Mr. Excitement on this blog and so that's what we will call him from here on out.

I've shared on this blog about how in my interactions with Mr. Excitement I allowed my hormones to take over and I was demanding, inconsiderate, and as an end result I made a mess out of things.

I've learned several things about lust:  
  • Lust doesn't care about the other person.  It is simply focused on how they look or what they can do for you
  • Lust is impatient and wants it's own way
  • Lust leads to doubt, insecurity, and ends in discouragement
  • Lust is self-centered and only concerned with self gratification
  • Lust is rude, demanding, inconsiderate, and bulldozing
  • Lust causes you to say stupid things
  • Lust doesn't last and will leave in a minute
Now how did I learn all of that?  I learned it because I did all of those things when approaching Mr. Excitement.  

I did not care about his feelings.  All I cared about was how hot I thought he was and how we should be together because I am tired of being single and I would love to look at him every day.

Since all I had was lust, I based our interactions on the superficial.  If only I were thinner, in better shape, or prettier he would like me.  I spent so much time feeling rejected because I didn't get to know anything about HIM as a person nor did  I show much interest in getting to know him.  I was just focused on being rejected again and that led me to discouragement.

From the beginning with Mr. Excitement It was all about ME.  I didn't care about him nor his story.  Maybe he was hurting or maybe he just wasn't interested for this or that reason, but I didn't care.  I cared about jumping on top of him.

I've talked about this before but I was rude, demanding, inconsiderate of his feelings, and bulldozed him down. [sarcasm] Hmmmm  I wonder why I wasn't successful in my approach. [/sarcasm]

Take it away

This past week I saw Mr. Excitement again and something had changed.  I no longer viewed him as a piece of meat.  True I did get excited when I saw him (I'm human remember) but something had changed.

During my Bible Study last night we were talking about being used by God for his glory.

I realized I can't be used by God if I have the spirit of lust in my heart.  How can I be used by God to lead, teach, and influence anybody if I can't hold it together when I see a hot bald guy with a great physique.  Even more so, how can I say that I want a man who understands purpose and who loves God and I'm playing the role of the temptress and wanting to get my rocks off?

I can't so I asked God to take away the spirit of lust from my heart.

I don't want to lust after the man God will give me.  I want to LOVE him.  Love is completely different from lust.
  • Love is patient and kind
  • Love is not rude or demand it's own way
  • Love is compassionate and cares about others feelings
  • Love is empowering and brings out the best in us
  • Love says words that edify and build each other up
  • Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance

Lusting after material things

Everyone always associates lust with sex, but I also know lust can apply to materialism as well.  Earlier this year, God showed me where I have lusted after worldly success and material things and the absence of those things in my life that was the source of a lot of bitterness and anger in my life.

The lustful spirit isn't concerned with PURPOSE or IMPACT, but it's concerned with appearances, status, and THINGS.  Lust is concerned with the surface level and what doesn't last.

Love is concerned with the deeper issues of life and that which will leave a legacy in eternity.

Since that revelation, I have asked God to forgive me and to help me focus on what really matters in life and that is purpose and impact.  I am determined to focus on God's greater plan..

Passion but not lust

In these past few weeks I had been writing in my vision journal about PASSION.  I have to be fueled by passion in all that I do.  I want to be passionate about my husband.  I want him to excite me and get me all riled up.  I couldn't imagine being with someone who did not excite me and gave me the blahs.

Passion is one thing, but lust is another.  Lust is  not enough to keep the party going.  People gain weight, they go gray, and it's just not enough to focus on the superficial.

When I speak about passion, I'm talking about the fire within that burns.  What makes him want to get up in the morning?  What fuels him?  Does he want to be the best he can be?  What does he want to do in life?  Does he understand purpose and impact?  Is he passionate about those things?

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT

For single people letting go of lust can be a hard road to go down because we are human and we have hormones and desires, but I believe to love someone like they deserve to be loved we need to cut lust out of the equation.


To God be the Glory

Comments

Popular Posts