A Tribute to the Phenomenal Woman: Dr. Maya Angelou

Dr. Maya Angelou, A Phenomenal Woman


I was going to make this my Facebook status, but I realized I had so much to say about Dr. Maya Angelou that I wanted to share all of my thoughts in this venue.

I remember reading I know Why the Caged Bird sings in Middle School and being enthralled with the book. Now of course one of my favorite parts of this book was when Sister Monroe  punched out the preacher in church and kept saying "Preach it".  What a great lesson!  More people should punch out preachers especially these days.

In all seriousness even at that young age I was touched and influenced by her honesty in that book. I was influenced by Phenomenal Woman and "And Still I Rise". As a young woman, I still remember seeing Dr. Angelou as the poet laureate at the inauguration of President Clinton.

When I heard she made her transition into glory today, I was sad for the loss.  We seem to be losing these people of powerful influence with great regularity. When I look at the immature girls that are thrust upon society by the media for young women to idolize my heart is sad.  I was lucky to have Dr. Angelou's words as part of my development process. 

I wonder if our girls today are being exposed to soul inspiring and soul stirring women or are they simply exposed to vapid and sad girls that are pushed by advertisers to make a profit

I've said it several times today but we need to do better.

Dr. Angelou's influence was vast and deep because she lived an authentic life.  She shared her pain, her loss, her struggles, her victories, and her triumphs with the world through her writing.  Jesus said that Wisdom is best seen in results and Dr. Angelou had the receipts of being a wise woman.  If you watched her even into in her 80's, she was still vibrant and alive.  She was not bitter and listless towards life.  The last interview I saw with her she was recalling her samba days and even sang a little bit of it.  She was FANTASTIC!   

As a young woman, I remember hearing Dr. Angelou teach about what love allows you to do.  She said that love allows you to be free and to forgive. This is the type of teaching that I wish I had learned in my spiritual upbringing. 

Dr. Angelou's words resonated louder and made more of an impact on me than the words I heard shouted and preached from pulpits on Sundays growing up.  


People talked about how her home overflowed in love.  It was such a place that people came in and immediately put their feet up on the furniture.  It was that comfortable.  I thought that's the type of home I would like to have. I will never forget her saying that if she heard someone saying something racist in her home that person would have to leave.  She would go right up to them and say, "You must leave now".

As I embark on my own teaching and empowerment movement regarding the human condition, I have begun to reflect about what makes a great teacher.  Why do some teachers make more of an impact and have a bigger influence on people than others?  Why is it that some teachers create lifelong lessons?  I think the answer is the best teachers are those who teach from experience.

Dr. Angelou taught us so many lessons from the pain of her rape, the relationships with her family, and her embracing of who she was as a Phenomenal Woman.  She spoke with an honest voice and  had a willing heart to give what God gave her to humanity and today I'm grateful.  I'm grateful that she did not try to sell an image for advertisers or want to hide behind a mask in order to appear perfect.  I'm grateful she let us see her flaws and how she overcame.

One of my favorite quotes from Dr. Angelou are these simple words

When you know better, you do better.

Once you learn better, then you are able to DO better.  You cannot do better until you know better and once you do know better it is YOUR responsibility to DO better.

The other quote I often say from her is this:

When people show you who they are, believe them.

No more needs to be said about that.  I would like to end this blog with the poem, Phenomenal Woman.  I aspire to be a phenomenal woman and carry the torch of my sisters who came before me.  I thank them, I treasure them, and I honor them.

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I’m not cute or built to suit a fashion model’s size   
But when I start to tell them,
They think I’m telling lies.
I say,
It’s in the reach of my arms,
The span of my hips,   
The stride of my step,   
The curl of my lips.   
I’m a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,   
That’s me.


I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,   
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.   
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.   
I say,
It’s the fire in my eyes,   
And the flash of my teeth,   
The swing in my waist,   
And the joy in my feet.   
I’m a woman
Phenomenally.


Phenomenal woman,
That’s me.


Men themselves have wondered   
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can’t touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them,   
They say they still can’t see.   
I say,
It’s in the arch of my back,   
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I’m a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That’s me.


Now you understand
Just why my head’s not bowed.   
I don’t shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.   
When you see me passing,
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It’s in the click of my heels,   
The bend of my hair,   
the palm of my hand,   
The need for my care.   
’Cause I’m a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That’s me.

To God be the Glory!  


Comments

Popular Posts