Single Sister in the City: Chocolate Tea on Memorial Day Weekend

Well here it is on Saturday Night of Memorial Day Weekend.  All week people have asked if  I have any plans. The answer is No.  Even if I wanted to go out I don't have the energy with work and training for the competition.  I find that with this schedule I simply don't have the energy to spend on things that don't push me towards my goal.

I suppose this is a good thing because instead of trying to fill my life with things to do that aren't really leading anywhere, I spend my time listening to podcasts, reading, writing, and planning my business.

This isn't to say that I haven't had some moments


Fighting Temptation

I'm hungry.  

My Coach reduced my calories this cycle so I am eating less while still training intensely.  If we remember the story of Jesus in the wilderness, Satan tempted Jesus when he had been fasting for 40 days and was hungry.

I can see why.  That's a good time to get someone off of their game.  When we're hungry we are vulnerable.  All sorts of thoughts start going through our heads.

In my case after the word from The Lord this week about expecting God to do something here came the whispers.

"What on earth are you thinking?!  Nothing is going to happen!  It isn't happening and won't be happening!"

"You should feel sorry for yourself.  You work so hard and yet you have nothing and aren't going to have anything.  You have so much to complain about."

"Give up already!  Go and eat a brownie!  Stop expecting things to change!  It isn't going to happen"

These are thoughts in my head and you know what I say?  Nothing...I just keep on going.

In the past I would have camped out with these thoughts.  I would have tried to analyze and talk about WHY I have these thoughts and go through them one by one. Now I don't feel the need to camp out with these unhappy voices in my head.  I just acknowledge that they are there and then I keep going forward whether it is to listen to some more positive teaching or tell myself these things are not true.


Discipline and Patience

The Fitness Competition is definitely teaching me about discipline and patience.  How many times do we eat things because we have urges?  We give into those urges because we HAVE to have that brownie, it takes us off course, and we end up angry because it shows up when our clothes don't fit.  We lack the discipline to resist urges and stand firm.

I started thinking about the skill of discipline when it comes to my spiritual life.  Discipline has become a dirty word in our society.  We aren't encouraged to practice discipline, but to give into every urge that we have.  For me, it's hard to discipline myself when it comes to thinking:  I give into the urge to believe the negative thoughts in my head that nothing is going to change and that I am justified in complaining.  Of course then I get off course and end up angry because I have to travel around that same mountain again rather than moving forward into the next step.

I am learning to become disciplined in my thoughts.  In the past few months I have realized how much we fill our minds with negativity.  Whether it is negative conversations with others in which we complain and analyze our problems or on social media which is one big negative party with a few inspirational quotes mixed in.  In order to engage in the discipline of thinking right thoughts, I fill my mind and time with educational podcasts and teachings.  

Patience through Preparation

Preparation is huge when you're embarking on a fitness competition.  Meals must be prepared ahead of time because nobody has time to make all of the meals one at a time.  I know I don't.

Again I started thinking about this amazing season of preparation that I am undergoing.  I believe that  proper preparation prevents poor performance and I am about to assume the role of my life so I must be adequately prepared.

God has to prepare me by building my faith.

I have said before that I'm the type of person who tends to want to back out of things when I'm not sure if it's going to turn out.  Now if I say that I want all what God has for me then I cannot back out when it isn't looking how I thought it was going to go.

Since June 30, 2013 my faith has grown by leaps and bounds.  I definitely trust God more than I did this time last year.  I have experienced and seen God move in an amazing way since last year so I know that work is going on.  

I've even started a new project because I expect God to do SOMETHING.  I'm not labeling it nor limiting, but just doing it because I expect God to do SOMETHING.  I don't question it when I work on it or try to reason out of it.  I just expect God to do SOMETHING.

I am learning passionate patience through preparation.  Rather than rushing and trying to MAKE it happen on my own, I've said Peace, Be Still.  I will let God direct the show  and let it come.

Drinking Chocolate Tea on Memorial Day Weekend Saturday Night...

A few years ago this would have sent me into the throes of depression.


  • Oh you're so pathetic and lonely
  • You don't have any kind of life.  
  • You're just as sad as you were in High School
  • What's wrong with you?  Something HAS to be wrong with you why you're alone
  • You're gonna end up on hoarders!

Well luckily that's no longer the story.  No I'm not out partying (couldn't do it anyway) or out eating a fabulous meal but I've got the bigger goal in mind.  All of that will be there in 11 weeks after the competition and I will enjoy myself then.

Tonight I'm watching for updates from my teammates on how they are doing in their competitions today, getting ready to watch some of the shows I haven't had time to watch, and working on my business.

Drinking Chocolate Tea on Memorial Day Weekend Saturday Night and feeling mighty good about it!


Comments

Popular Posts