Relationships and Community: Building and Opposition

I am in the First 5 Bible Study focusing on Ezra and Nehemiah.  The idea of rebuilding a culture was really speaking to me and so I decided to sign up even though I'm in two classes at my church and reading The Purpose Driven Life along with the Shiloh Young Professionals.

When I tell you that I feel an urgency in this season, then that's exactly what I mean.  In a way I think I am making up for lost time when I got off track and decided that I could do it on my own and in my own way.

It's a shame that preachers don't do a lot of preaching from the book of Ezra.  There are so many great lessons to be had!  I grew up in church and never heard the story of Nehemiah until I got delivered from Legalism and the church I went to had a whole sermon series about it.

We have really got to do a better job of teaching God's word because there is so much substance in this story and so many takeaways that people are missing out!

When it comes to building Relationships and community, I think the book of Ezra has some excellent takeaways that I am going to use!


  •  God is Faithful to His Word and he will bring us back even when we've totally gone off track.
  • The first thing to do when building anything is to give the Lord his place and to dedicate it to Him.
  • If it is something worth doing, then you will face opposition and predators
  • Even when it's of God, from God, and he told you to do it, things can come to a complete standstill.

God is Faithful to His Word and he will bring us back even when we've totally gone off track

Jerusalem had fallen and the Israelites had been exiled to Babylon for 70 years.  It wasn't looking too promising for the people and the promises of God.

BUT GOD in his infinite mercy allowed a remnant home to return to Jerusalem and begin rebuilding their temple and their homeland.

What I got out of this is that Oh Our God is so Faithful.  Even when we go off track like the Israelites did, God can and he will bring us back.  I think of myself and how I've gone off track BUT GOD in his infinite mercy and he brought me back.  

He brought me back into the family of God
He brought me back to Shiloh.  
He brought me back to my original intent and what I really want in my life.  
He brought me back to begin the laying of the foundation of the life that I've been called to build.

God is faithful and keeps his promises.

When building anything the first thing to do is build to Give the Lord His place.

As the returning Exiles began to lay the foundation for the temple, the first thing they did was build an altar.  This speaks volumes.  

This year I feel as though I am laying the foundation for the life I've been called to build.  One of my favorite Praise and Worship songs "Enter the Gates" has the best line:  "MAKE THIS PLACE AN ALTAR.  MAKE THIS PLACE AN ALTAR" 

The first thing to do when you're laying a foundation and building anything is to make space for the Lord.  The Lord must be at the center of it all.  He's the entire reason for anything.  When our own agenda replaces God's space we're doomed to fail and not fulfill our purpose.

This year I have been intentional about the Lord being the chairman of the board.  God is at the center of everything.  I'm done trying to find coaches, conferences, and everything else that may have the "answer".  

This year I've decided to have God be in charge and this is the most successful I've been financially.  I know we've got more coming.  I'm laying the foundation for this whole life that I've been called to.

If something is worth doing, then you'll more than likely face opposition and predators

From Ezra Chapter 4


 When the enemies of Judah and Benjamin heard that the exiles were building a temple for the Lord, the God of Israel, they came to Zerubbabel and to the heads of the families and said, “Let us help you build because, like you, we seek your God and have been sacrificing to him since the time of Esarhaddon king of Assyria, who brought us here.”
But Zerubbabel, Joshua and the rest of the heads of the families of Israel answered, “You have no part with us in building a temple to our God. We alone will build it for the Lord, the God of Israel, as King Cyrus, the king of Persia, commanded us.”

Then the peoples around them set out to discourage the people of Judah and make them afraid to go on building.[a] They bribed officials to work against them and frustrate their plans during the entire reign of Cyrus king of Persia and down to the reign of Darius king of Persia.

This is such an encouragement! Predators and Naysayers are to be expected when we do anything...even if God is calling us to do it.

I have felt discouraged and fearful to go on building.  I am worried I have made some of it up and others are confirming my fears about it being a waste of time.  I'm frustrated and want to move on...but I can't.  I think I've been called to lay a foundation and build something so this is comforting to note.


Even when it's of God, from God, and he told you to do it, things can come to a complete standstill.

24 Thus the work on the house of God in Jerusalem came to a standstill until the second year of the reign of Darius king of Persia.

The Lord had told the people to rebuild the temple.
He was watching over them
He had called them to do it 

And yet...the work still came to a standstill and not just for a few weeks either.  I have read that the work stopped for a decade

Think about that: 10 years or more.  God told them to do it, He was watching over them, and yet the work came to a stand still for 10 years.

It just seems to me that when God is involved this happens.  There are delays and yet he still gets it done.  He is faithful.

I've needed to read this in this season:  Even if it's from God, of God, and he told you to do it, things can still come to a standstill.  Even in the church today we like to focus on how fast and how quickly things happen.  It just doesn't work like that for most people.  

I know for me it feels like some stuff has come to a complete standstill and I'm thinking I made it up and I am embarrassed. 

Well we shall see.


Building a Community that lasts will not be easy

Building a community is easy.
Building a community that lasts will NOT be easy.
It will be hard because there will be opposition and there will be predators

However this is the call that I feel in this season.  We're laying the foundation to build a legacy on.

The important thing is NOT TO GIVE UP!!!


Comments

Popular Posts