Leaving Sundays: Crazy Love - What do the Jesus Obsessed look like?




What does it look like to be totally obsessed with Jesus?  Do you look like Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction with eyes singularly focused on getting to  Jesus?

In this chapter of the book Francis Chan profiles what it would look like to be obsessed with Jesus

They're risk takers 


As Chan says in our culture we've become obsessed with safety and our comfort. What if for God to get the glory in our lives something terrible has to happen?

Frankly speaking, I don't think I would willingly choose that option.

Obsessed people are whatever it takes for as long as it takes because they want to see thy kingdom come and thy will be done.


I'm definitely not there yet.

They are friends of all

One thing I say in my life is not hanging out with chickens when you're trying to soar high like an eagle.  Also I try not to spend too much time with difficult and draining people. It's too much of a downer and i find myself getting depressed and my own mood being pulled down

That sounds terrible but it's true. I think it's important for me to be honest and transparent. That's why I read this book in the first place because I wanted to be convicted.

Obsessed people care about the poor and they're connected with them in some kind of way.

While reading this I thought I am poor because I don't have any money. Chan directs us to 1 Timothy 6 and when we get to verse 8 it says:

So we should be well satisfied without money if we have enough food and clothing

Yeah I'm not poor. Not at all.

They are crazy

Francis Chan is very radical. He actually does things that the Bible talks about like taking in poor people or selling his home so he could give more away.

He says the first people to criticize him are Christians when what he does is biblical!

I'm not surprised. We are so far from what the Bible has taught us that we are actually supposed to be doing that someone sounds completely insane when they actually do it.

They are  Humble

How many want stuff so that they can really rub people's noses in it?

Me.

I'm petty and I often say it's stomping on the devil but I always want to stomp on some people I've encountered throughout the ye.

That's not giving God the glory! That's giving me the glory!

Sit down and be humble!

People who are obsessed with Jesus are servers and givers


Non-churchgoers tend to see Christians as takers rather than givers.

And if we are talking current events, some of the Christian Leaders  sound terrible. This latest political climate has really exposed the hearts of the American Church.

Obsessed people are focused on eternity


Build your hopes on things eternal! Don't lay up for yourself treasures in heaven!
How many of us take this literally. We are so focused on our Earthly lives that we don't really think about eternity.

Would we live differently if we knew our choices had long term ramifications in an Eternal sense?

Obsessed people are engrossed


They love God with their mind, soul, and strength. They are madly in love with God.

Obsessed people are raw with God


They don't try to fool him. He already knows that we need a lot of help. I've found myself doing this when I've gotten convicted during this study.

Obsessed people spend time with God


Keep in mind this is not out of obligation but out of love! We spend time with people we love and enjoy being with.

The average Christian in the United States spends ten minutes per day with God. The average American spends four hours per day watching tv. I don't even want to know how much time we spend on our phones Or the internet.

Obsessed people are more concerned with his or her character than comfort.


 Obsessed people know that true joy doesn't depend on circumstances or environment.

Am I okay with my current circumstances if it's developing my character and making me into the woman I need to be? Most of the time.

Obsessed people are faithful and thankful to God because they know they cannot possibly repay him.

Comments

Popular Posts