Proverbs 31 OBS Listen, Love, Repeat Week 1: Heart Drops

First let me say that this is a great Bible Study for me because already I'm starting to get some conviction and asking myself some deep questions about Listening and Loving.

Karen says the most important thing are relationships.

I took a pause because I don't view life that way.  I find so many relationships distracting, draining, and disappointing which is why I have no enthusiasm towards really putting myself out there for new ones.  I have some wonderful friends and I love them but so many relationships I've experienced did not do anything but get me off track.

I have a very real fear of my life ending up in failure because I chose the wrong relationship.  It happens.  I've seen it in my own life.

If I fail or my life ends up in ruins, then I want it to be because of me.  I don't want to think, "I chose wrong and now my life is ruined."  Same goes for anyone I would have a relationship with.  I do NOT want to look at someone one day and realized I helped to cause their demise.  

I just wouldn't be able to live with myself.

Heart Drops

One of the big concepts for this book is something called a Heart Drop.   It's when a person, either directly or in a cryptic way, gives you a peek into his or her heart. It may be through actual words, or you may pick up on a feeling, perhaps sadness or loneliness.

I've experienced that before.  I've talked about how I was moved to pray for the man in front of me at church a few years ago.  I saw the sadness and loneliness and thought, "You should pray for him."

She talks about how when we have conversations with people we should be listening for Heart Drops so that we can bless them at a later date.

In our society these days we can all be so self centered.  We strike endless poses to get the right selfies in the right lighting, we think we need to update people on every thought and goings on in our life on social media so we will be validated and affirmed, we focus on self preservation and getting ours because we don't expect others to help us.

But how often do we stop to hear the hearts of others?

Hmmmm.

I believe that God doesn't show everybody your heart.  I believe He shows people's hearts to those he can trust it with.  To those who understand there is a higher purpose and a higher calling that goes along with seeing the cries of one's heart.  

The phrase: "Guard your heart" is real.  Not everyone is meant to see the broken and vulnerable heart because they don't know what to do with it or being broken themselves they will simply make things worse.

We need to do better

One of the scriptures that was used this week really made me think:  Hebrews 13:3

Continue to remember those in prison as if you were together with them in prison, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.

These are the last thing Christians are known for today.  They are known for not caring about anyone but themselves.  Whenever there are sad stories on the news about people who are hurting, mistreated, or even killed there is silence from the Christian community unless it's "our kind of people".  

The scripture that has been emphasized throughout this week's study is:  Mark 12: 30-31

30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’[a] 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] There is no commandment greater than these.”

All I can say is that we ALL need to do better.

Can't wait to dive more deeply into this study.

Comments

Popular Posts