P31 OBS Uninvited Week 4: Set Apart not Set Aside


To be set apart is to be given an assignment that requires preparation.



Say it again for the people in the back!


To be set apart is to be given an assignment that requires preparation.


Not Set Aside but Set Apart

When I read this in Uninvited, I thought "Exactly this."  What we think is set aside, cast away, rejected, etc.  may be for our own development and preparation for what God has for us.

God has always set his people apart.  In the Old Testament they received laws and rules to keep them separate from what everyone else was doing and in the New Testament Jesus called his followers to be set apart by the legalistic religion the Pharisees had imposed upon the people.

If you're on this Sacred Journey with God, then you will be set apart.

Your life will not look like everyone else's life.  

You will not be on the same time table as the rest of the world.

You will be on a completely different schedule and life journey.

You must understand that you are not being set aside but you are being set apart.


What do you want?

When we discuss being set apart, we need to be CLEAR about what we want or else we will give up.  

  • Do you want the "Get By" Option in life that's enough to get you by but not God's best?
  • Do you want to be used by God or for your life to look like everyone else's?
  • Do you want a comfortable life or Do you want the excitement and adventure of a life used by God?
  • Do you want to risk it, believe, and see God's Glory or Do you want to play it safe?
Knowing what we want will make all of the difference.  Some people do not want to take risks and want a very comfortable life where they can predict all of the outcomes. There's a risk in that one too because what they thought was comfortable and not risky can all fall down.

If you have decided that you:

  • Want God's Best for your life
  • Want to be used by God which means your life will not look like everyone else's
  • want the excitement and adventure of a life that is used by God
  • want to risk it, believe, and see God's glory
then you're going to have to get used to being set apart.

Walking Alone

Being Set apart often means walking alone so you can be developed and strengthened with God without external noise.  It can be lonely at times but I think it's much better to invest this time working on your mindset, developing yourself, letting go of destructive mindsets,  healing your wounds, and strengthening your relationship with God rather than investing your time in superficial and shallow relationships so that you have something to do.

It's unconventional yes but that's the whole point of being set apart.  Everything about being set apart is unconventional.

Humble Yourselves....

Set apart is an exercise in Humility.  

Being set apart is humbling.  

During this process, the Lord will expose so many of your faults, your hangups, your wounds, your deep secrets, and your voids.  He does this so that he can use us effectively for his service and to bring glory to His name.

I can say that on my own journey I don't know where this is all leading.  I know it's leading somewhere.  I believe the prophets and I will prosper but most importantly I believe God.  I believe that He is with me and he shall NOT fail.  

I believe that I will reap a harvest of blessing in due season if I do not give up

I also that believe that by humbling myself and letting God direct the show, that I will be lifted up in due season and affect so many lives around me.


Comments

Popular Posts