Recommended Read: The Wait By Devon Franklin





I wholeheartedly recommend this book by DeVon Franklin!


Let's clear something up:  It's not just about Sex

People assume that the Wait is just about sex. It's part of it but The Wait is about emotionally healing and disciplining yourself to Wait for God's best for your life and not just settle for the Get By option.

Because it isn't simply about sex and about being emotionally healthy enough to receive God's best for your life and not settling for Get By Option, I think the reasons DeVon gives for The Wait are much more compelling and practical than what I have heard in the past.


It's Time To Say Something Different

I think DeVon's message is very timely.  It's very timely.  It's time to say something different in Christian community and it's surely time to say something different in the singles community.  

I don't PERSONALLY know ANY Christian couples who have made public declarations about waiting and used their stories to help others.

While reading this book I asked on social media if anyone knew any Christian couples PERSONALLY that were publicly declaring that they were waiting. I found one couple and I appreciated them sharing their story.  

I certainly don't remember ANY when I was growing up. You heard all this talk about people should wait for marriage and all that but how many were really following that?  Even better how many had the stories of victory to accompany it?

So with that said I was interested to read the book and see what he had to say.  

Safe to say, I totally agreed with his points especially that the way men view sex is so unhealthy especially these days.  

It's really nothing to brag about because even low level dudes are getting plenty of panties and bragging about it on social media and even more pathetic is that all the women they brag about all look the same and go from guy to guy so it's not like he's special.  It's toxic masculinity at its finest. Women as objects and the men who conquer them.

Anyway I am totally off topic.


Why you should Wait

 DeVon advocates for people to develop themselves and heal emotionally before seeking a relationship in the book.  Rather than sitting in your house and feeling sorry for yourself because you're single, this is your time to: start a business, travel, get healthier, figure out your life's mission and purpose, expend your energy into making yourself great.

I see far too many people who are more concerned with finding a mate than they are in saving their own lives and making themselves useful.  What's sad is that these people marry and realize marriage and kids will not save them or solve their problems.  A relationship will not be fulfilling if you are not fulfilled on your own. Better to be fulfilled by expending your energy on your life mission rather than spending all of your energy on No Longer being single.

I also liked that DeVon stressed that people should focus on their internal healing before being so concerned about being married.  I also like that he spoke specifically to men.  Many men suffer from low self esteem and worthlessness and this does not get addressed nearly enough.  We celebrate the men who sleep around without acknowledging that most are doing it because they are in pain.  

So I am glad we finally have someone who is calling it what it is:  Pain. I am especially glad a Black man said it.  So many of our men are not able to be functional husbands and fathers due to generational pain and poor role modeling, so I am glad someone is finally speaking the truth.

They actually have receipts for Their Wait


As I said in another post on the blog, I am glad an attractive couple with palpable sexual chemistry wrote a book about waiting.  Some of the other Christian couples I've seen who have shared their testimony have not been very inspiring.  They either try too hard to convince us they are the perfect couple and lack organic chemistry or they just are uninspiring.  It may sound shallow and mean but it's not encouraging to tell people to wait and all they see is Fred and Freda Frumpy or a couple that doesn't even look into each other.

DeVon and Megan actually followed through on their wait and they have palpable chemistry.  That is encouraging for both men and women.

Single People should read this book

Plain and simple.  Read this book.  So many of us are constantly bombarded with what the popular opinion of the day is and just look at the receipts of the people who are trying to convince you to settle for the Get By Option.  There is better!

So I encourage all Single People to Read this book...I especially encourage it for YOUNG MEN before they get involved in self destructive behaviors!

Comments

Popular Posts