Church Refugees: What it would take for me to re-engage with the church especially in the coming days


As it stands I miss the worship, the prophetic words and teachings, and prayers so I may try it again soon. This break has taught me that there won't be any perfect churches and I'm no longer interested in church shopping. I really like Shiloh church in Oakland so I may attend a service there. It does feel hypocritical to go attend a service when I know have ZERO intentions of being apart of their fellowship.

That's what this journey is all about. I don't have all the answers but I'm open to hearing from the One that does.

As church refugee so accurately points out those of us that are done know we need the church because without organization and a collective effort there just won't be the same impact

It's like the old African proverb says:

If you want to go fast, then go aloneIf you want to go far, then go together

I just really believe as we move forward that there will be another revival and great awakening but here's the thing about that: I believe that this revival will shake up the institutional church. Yes these false prophets and teachers will be exposed and fall down but also the institutional church will look different. It won't be about self preservation anymore but about real and true spiritual awakening and healing because that's what people will need.

The Great Dilemma

Herein lies the great dilemma

In every single book I've read on this subject the people that are leaving aren't the sinful backsliders like the preacher sometimes like to say and the people that leave aren't the pew warmers.

The people that are leaving are the doers, the people that want to live out the faith, and believe God has called people to serve and impact the world around them.

So if those people  leave then the church is left with the backsliders who cause scandals and the pew warmers who sit there every Sunday and do nothing except get their attendance points.

This isn't the recipe for an effective, vibrant, and spiritually thriving church. It's the recipe for a scandal filled lukewarm church that spends its time arguing about carpets, song book,s and having programs just to have them without any real intent.

There are so many hurt people out there and society is feeding them lies by telling them that they have the answers. Politicians lie and tell people they they can solve all of their problems.

The media sells our young people the lies that drug use is without consequence and will help ease their pain or to try to heal their shame by receiving attention and validation through social media. The media is teaching our girls that their worth is not in their brains but by trying to get attention on social media by being naked and acting like they have grapes for brains.

Yet is the church even listening to these stories on the pew? Do they even know these stories exist or are they too busy forming another program to feel productive. I bet if the church was able to really listen and HEAR the stories on the pews there would be some changes. Think about the potential those stories have when they meet Jesus and end in victory.

I've often wondered why there isn't more of an emphasis on testimonies because the bible says we overcome by the blood of the lamb and the word of our testimonies. I firmly believe the adage that faith comes from hearing the right types of stories so why don't we hear them? I know for me that is what separated my newfound faith from the dead religion I grew up with. The stories of this amazing God with his amazing Grace.

The journey continues....

Comments

Popular Posts