Daniel Fast: Call to Purity and The COVENANT

Hmph.

During this fast we've had some unexpected things come to the surface,  Issues such as soul ties (which I believe are broken in Jesus' name) and last week I even forgave someone that I have had a grudge against for 15 years because he hurt my feelings.  Tremendous progress!

Well then there's the Purity issue.



Kissed the Girls

During the first few days of the fast, I picked up a book by Lisa Bevere that I got at Last year's women's conference entitled, "Kissed the Girls".  It's all about sexual purity and how women lose when they give in.

I read it and found myself agreeing with the majority of what was said.  I did disagree about a number of things too but I generally go for the message of what is being said.

I am 33 years old and I am abstinent.  It makes me feel like a freak, rejected, and unwanted.  I don't want to be this anymore but I know that there is some reason that this has happened like this.  I think there's some big testimony and story that is behind this.  Perhaps that is why I am so easily distracted.  I am ready to be married and stop being abstinent.

As I read this book, I began to honestly pour out what I was thinking before God.  What if I never meet anyone?  What if this is all a cruel joke and I will be one of those foreveralone women ready to go on Hoarders?  I don't want this call.  It isn't fair.  Everyone else gets to have their cake and get married.  What have I gotten?  Nothing...that's what.

But herein lies the question of the hour:  Do I trust God enough to obey even when I don't want to and it seems pointless?

Yes.

There's a purpose and plan behind all of this but I still wasn't ready to make a formal commitment like I felt the Holy Spirit leading me to.


Covenant with My Eyes

After finishing Kissed the Girls, I picked up another book in the queue.  Covenant with my Eyes is a book by Bob Sorge who came to Shiloh Church last year.  He is the gentleman with the vocal injury who is awaiting divine healing.

This book was about making a covenant with your eyes before the Lord.  This covenant is rooted in Job 31:1
I have made a covenant with my eyes; how then could I gaze at a virgin?

This book is about making a covenant with your eyes before the Lord to not look upon others with lust, listen to sexual music, videos, movies, etc.  I also thought there was a great point about women making a covenant not to use their eyes to compare themselves with other women.

This vow seemed a little extreme for me but I did sense the Holy Spirit leading me to make a covenant but I didn't want to.

What was the big deal?

What is the big deal?  I'm already abstinent.  I do get distracted by lust and fantasies but why don't I want to make a formal covenant with the Lord regarding purity?

I wanted to leave the door open.  I wanted to maintain that LAST bit of control that hey something might happen.  I may meet my dream guy and who knows what can happen? Don't I deserve it?  If I make a covenant, then that means I have to stick to it and there are no outs.  I have to surrender all control to God no matter how long it takes.  It could be another 5 years but because I have made a covenant and will stick with my commitment to obedience, it doesn't matter.

So I did it.  I made a vow.  Now I'm putting it on the internet.  It's public record.

The Covenant

My covenant says that I will not allow anyone to touch me in a sexual manner until I am married.  This vow says that I will not allow any sexual activity until I am married.  Not engaged but married.


If someone is not willing to support this, then he isn't for me.  I have prayed to God and asked that he send me someone who will lead me in this area.  A man that can lead in an area that is SO counterculture and against the norm is a man that is worthy to be the head of my life, family, and a good father to my children.

So I guess this means all my silly fantasies go out the window.  It's for real.  Who knows?  It could be another five years before I get married  Who knows except for God.  My job is to be obedient and not think that obedience means that I am going to get what I want.  I'm obedient because I love God and want to serve him with my life even if it means denying myself and what I want.


To God be the Glory

Comments

Popular Posts