Live from the Wilderness: Hard Truth #5 Time to change your approach: Surprise me!

Well one thing is for sure: 2014 is going to bring some major changes.

This isn't surprising since I was tired of the way things were going.  I am READY for something new.

This week the big lesson has been that it's time to change my approach. 

It is time to change my approach  to EVERYTHING.

My big battle in this wilderness season is with unbelief.  I approach situations with the need to KNOW EVERYTHING and FIGURE IT ALL OUT.  I have also stopped believing for good things to happen, and to expect to be disappointment.

This MUST change

Changing my approach:  Take Risks

I don't like taking risks because I want to know that I will be successful in what I am undertaking. This is a big mistake.  I've come to realize that even if it seems like everything should work on paper, that is no guarantee that it will work out.  My stint as a Fitness Manager proved that point.  On paper I had all of the qualifications to be successful, but it turned out to be a total flop.

Lesson learned: Sure things aren't always so sure.

2014: Can't risk?  Nope. Can't fail.

I just loved what our Assistant Pastor said on New Years Eve: 

"There are two types of people in the world:  Can't risk and Can't Fail.  In 2014, let's have a can't fail attitude."

Within these first 3 weeks of 2014 I have done the following things:
  • Decide to quit my job
  • Pursue some long desired career opportunities
  • Contact a coach about preparing me for my competition in July
Before this year I was too scared to do any of these things.  I wanted to wait for a better time.  Well there is no better time than right now because I WANT these things and I want them NOW.  

THAT is the best time to do something: when you're fired up and ready to go!

Besides, if I truly believe God is looking out for my best interest and I am truly walking in His will, then I shouldn't put all my energy into figuring out how things will not end well. I should be pouring my energy into believing for the victory.  

Changing my Approach: Surprise Me

During this week's prayer challenge, one day we were challenged to pray for God to surprise us.  At first I didn't want to do this because it's one of those things where you think: 

 I don't know if I want a surprise...what if it's bad?  What if it's not what I want? 

I realized that was the unbelief talking again.  If I truly believe God is looking out for my best interests and all things work together for GOOD, then wouldn't a God Surprise be a GOOD thing?

After I prayed that prayer, my level of expectation has increased.  I find myself waking up excited in the morning because I've asked God to surprise me and I wonder what will happen!

I feel this is a major step forward for me:  For most of my life I have gone with the "safe" option, but when you ask God to surprise you I don't think he plays the safe route.  It's go big or go home.

Changing my Approach: Focus on being a Godly Friend

Over the past few years I've been bummed about the lack of meaningful friendships I've formed.  Sometimes I think the single thing wouldn't be so bad if I had some really great friendships.  I have learned the hard way that you don't just hang out with people because they are available.  Rev. Run said it best, "Stop hanging out with people you don't want to be like!"

Well this year I want to change my approach to relationships:  I want to focus on being a Godly Friend.  A Godly friend is someone that you can:
  • laugh with
  • pray with
  • share secrets with
  • trust

You've got to be a Godly Friend before you are a wife

I read blogs written by single Christian women and I think many of us (especially those of us in our 30's) tend to put all of our energies into finding a suitable partner.  We forget about forming actual relationships with others.

I will be the first to say that I am a very results driven person.  I get very focused on blazing to the results and I tend to minimize and bypass the process.  

This week God said to me in prayer time: You've got to be a godly friend before you're someone's wife.

I think we should focus on BEING a Godly friend because in all honesty when the plumbing stops working and is past the little blue pill stage, I would want to be with someone I enjoy spending time with:  A FRIEND!

SO I am also DRASTICALLY changing my approach in the single woman department

Rather than focusing on my end result, I am going to focus on being a GODLY friend.  I think the more that I focus on that, the less pressure I will feel as a single woman.  

BTW I'm SO tired of the non helpful comments and suggestions from other people.  Just shut up already if you don't have anything encouraging to say!!  I already know my situation, I don't need you to keep repeating it.  (Sorry about the tangent...that will be its own blog post)  

It will also be positive for me to learn how to be a friend again.  I've spent the last several years very inwardly focueds and while that's great in some ways because I've grown A LOT, it also sets the stage to focus on the negative, complaining about circumstances, and having pity parties. It will be great to serve others and take the focus off of myself as well!

It will be great to have friends to look to for encouragement, prayer, and conviction.  

Fast Paced Wilderness

I have to say this wilderness experience has been different from the others.  The others it has taken 5months for me to learn 1 lesson.  I'm only 1 month in and I've already learned 5!  Really I feel that the growth and transformation that is taking place is just phenomenal.

I think my last few wilderness experiences were so long and drawn out because I resisted change, I spent time feeling sorry for myself, and I tried to do it all on my own.

This time I just ask for grace and strength so that I can change.  I tell you his power that is working within me is truly the difference.

To God be the Glory

Comments

Popular Posts