April 2021 Monthly Devotional: Get your Mind Right!

 



Romans 12:2

Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.
 

“Get your mind right!” - Todd Durkin, Personal Trainer, Mentor, Speaker, and Impact Evangelist

Todd Durkin is a personal trainer who has worked with many professional athletes such as Drew Brees and Ladanian Tomlinson.  In addition to training professional athletes, Todd also trains influential pastor David Jeremiah. Todd is a believer in Jesus and a strong man of faith.

He’s shared how after years of fear about what people would think, he decided to be bolder about sharing his faith and quoting the Bible in secular spaces. 
 

Todd also mentors and coaches Fitness Professionals like me so that we can get 1% better everyday and have more impact on our clients and the world.

I was blessed to be a part of Todd’s mastermind group for several years and I learned a lot from him and his signature phrase was, “GET YOUR MIND RIGHT!” 

His message to us was that as Fitness Professionals, we need to get our minds right so we can train clients to get healthier and impact the world.


Jesus Followers: Get your Mind Right

As Jesus followers, we must get our minds right if we want to make disciples and impact the world! Clearly, we’re not the only ones because, in Paul’s letter to the Romans, he tells them to get their minds right!  

Paul even clearly lays out the process to get our minds right

  • Don’t conform to this world’s systems and values

  • Allow God to transform you into a new person by changing how you think

  • As a result, you will learn God’s pleasing and perfect will for your life.


Practical Application: Faith over Fear

Transparent Moment: When restrictions were lifted and we were called back to in-person church services, I was afraid to return. I was not in a high-risk population and I trusted the congregational leadership to follow safety protocols but I was still afraid to go back into the building. 

The world constantly promoted fear, doom, and gloom in regards to returning to any type of normalcy. 

I tried to be intentional about tuning out the fear-mongering. I focused on listening to Doctors who presented non-politicized viewpoints about the virus and explained the science behind immunity, transmission, antibodies, etc. 

Even still, my mind raced with anxious thoughts about getting sick and not being completely safe.  I knew I was being called back to the building to help serve but I was still filled with fear and anxiety.

While I was struggling with this in my mind, my Bible Reading plan came to Luke

Luke 8:24-25

24 The disciples went and woke him up, shouting, “Master, Master, we’re going to drown!”

When Jesus woke up, he rebuked the wind and the raging waves. Suddenly the storm stopped and all was calm. 25 Then he asked them, “Where is your faith?”

The disciples were terrified and amazed. “Who is this man?” they asked each other. “When he gives a command, even the wind and waves obey him!”

“Yeah really...Where is your faith?” I asked myself.  

I don’t think this is going to be the last time in our lifetimes that we will have to make the decision between fear and faith when it comes to meeting together with other believers so I decided to get my mind right and choose FAITH over FEAR.


More Transparency...

Another area where I had to get my mind right was with the area of singleness.  I refused to compromise and conform to the world’s system of dating and relationships. 

I allowed God to change my thinking in regards to marriage and I have a much healthier outlook than I had before. Because God transformed me by changing my mindset, I was able to tune out all of the bad dating/marriage advice based on this world’s system and values (and there’s so much bad advice...even from Christians) 

As a result of God's transforming power, I am clear about what God’s perfect will is for my life and I know he will be glorified.

Action Step


Where is it that you need to get your mind right? Jesus is with you even in the midst of your fear and anxiety.  Give him all your anxieties because he cares about you. (1 Peter 5:7)

 

Prayer

God, I thank you that you have not given me a spirit of fear but you have given me a spirit of power, love, and a sound mind. (1 Timothy 1:7)  God, I thank you for my sound mind.  Lord, I pray that I do not copy the behavior and customs of this world but instead allow you to change the way I think.  LORD HELP ME GET MY MIND RIGHT! I want to know your pleasing and perfect will for my life. In Jesus’ name, Amen


P.S. Below is a Video of Todd encouraging everyone to get their minds right



Comments

Popular Posts