Pandemic Chronicles #14 - We are Growing Weary in Well Doing BUT God Can

We just finished Week 19 Sheltering in Place in San Francisco and we are going into our 20th week of Shelter in Place.  That is 5 Whole Months of Sheltering in Place.

5 months of Not meeting my Clients in Person
5 months of not attending church services and other activities
5 months of not working out in the gym
5 months of not getting my hair done!

Seriously it's getting serious out here.  Cases are rising throughout the country and it seems as if any progress we made is going backward.  Last week I read an article in the New York Times that made me want to scream.

Everyone tells us to follow the science but the truth of the matter is that the models the scientists were using were presuming that people were following all of the rules perfectly.  People never follow any rules perfectly so that didn't make any sense.

It just seems like we're not making adequate progress in fighting this virus and considering the economic fallout. it's becoming more frustrating by the day watching failed leadership blame and lead people astray.

BUT 

God can.


That's it.

That's become the prayer.
God Can.  God can wipe this thing out and it go as quickly as it came.  He can do it.

He can.
However perhaps he wants to teach us something through all of this 

What could God be teaching us?

I've been thinking about what God wants us to learn through this experience and here is some of what I'm starting to see in my own life.

  • Getting rid of the distractions 
  • What would it look like if we can't meet together at a church? There may be a time where we are forbidden from meeting together...will we just give up?
  • Which activities need to stay and which need to go?  High level pruning
  • Time for the new wineskins: If we want revival, then we can't do the same old same old
  • Where does our provision come from? Jobs? Careers? Finances?  None of that. Provision comes solely from the Lord.
  • Revealing our hearts and motives: Am I doing things to be seen or out of service?
  • Where am I really finding my identity and What is my union with Christ really about?  Material things and benefits? or taking up my Cross and following Him?
  • Where am I falling short? So far longsuffering and patience is at the TOP of my list.

Declare and Decree: We Will Win!

I'm in a class called Proclaiming the Kingdom at Shiloh Church.  We had a session this past week where we talked about Prayer.  

Pastor Dawn said something that made me think about why we may not pray like we should.

We are not responsible for the outcome
My comment in the class was maybe that's why we don't pray because we don't want to be disappointed and we don't want to look foolish if it doesn't pan out.

As Raider QB Derek Carr said at The Altar conference last year It's not our reputation on the line though...it's God's. 


Amen.

This week's Activation Assignment was to Decree and Declare something and pray into it for the next week.  I decided that I was going to pray for our Impact Young Adult ministry.  I have been all fired up since last year about the young adults and I've been concerned about them and so I wanted to decree and declare on behalf of that ministry.

My Declaration

We Win!  God will work everything out according to His GLORIOUS PLAN!! (based on Romans 8:27-28)

So that was my declaration and I prayed into it.  Well I connected with our Young Adult Director and things are a changing. YES! I felt so burdened for this group and I'm so excited about helping advance the cause of the Kingdom.  I think when it is time to return to church there will be a remnant of the people to rebuild like Nehemiah.  

All those extras we had to lure the lukewarm will be gone.

I believe we will be victorious!!

Growing Weary in Well Doing

People are growing weary in well doing.  I'm growing weary in well doing!

I saw an interesting stat in Christianity Today: 

Barna found that a third of churchgoing Christians haven't participated in an online service in the past month.  

I can say anecdotally that on my own church's Livestream that I've seen a 40% drop in the viewers.  People are getting tired of online services.  I'm getting tired of online services.  Even on our church's prayer perimeter people aren't speaking out as much.  We're getting tired.

BUT 

God Can.

The Scripture says to Not Grow Weary in Well doing because AT JUST THE RIGHT TIME we will reap a harvest of blessing.  (Galatians 6:9)

Imagine what we'll miss out on if we give up to soon. 

So we can't give up.

Focus on These Things

While there are many frustrating things that are occurring, there are good things happening:  

One of my friends is moving away and we had a beautiful (socially distanced and drop by) going away party for her.  It was so great and it was so needed.  Isn't it great for people to know that they are loved?

We're seeing many people helping out others who are facing hard times and that's what it is all about.

So as the Apostle Paul wrote from prison.  Let us think about excellent and praise worthy thing.  Let's not give up because GOD CAN



Comments

Popular Posts